Persistence and Greatness


This week I found myself giving a training on leadership to the club I help direct here on BYU-Idaho campus. The training was a topic that a friend had shared with me and had just resonated with me. I used the visual below to represent how many organizations work. Each authoritative figure representing each dot and each arrow representing their progress.

 What then changes when we change the arrows?


Following this brief, yet what I felt was a profound principle was an incredibly creative discussion on practical inspirational ways to build our club into something better. I walked out of that meeting feeling happier and more confident in Life Skills Club.

According to the author Jim Collins, 'good is the enemy of great.' It is good to laugh and have fun, I love being entertained and having a good laugh, but it is better to do my home teaching and succor a struggling brother/sister given the two options. A very wise man I met with this week spoke to me about what he believed to be the overlooked quality, and that is the quality of persistence. If you remember from last week's post I shared that I would speak with Clay Olson, and speak with him I did! This man is a true leader, I could feel the humility and power coming from his voice as he shared his victories and failures with me, teaching and advising me for my future. I leave you this week with his words regarding how he succeeded in starting up his company's. "Rock path's always come, most look for the easiest path of relief and it's usually the exit door. When this time comes look to the horizon, the focal point. Rock mountains are a season and will pass if you focus on the end goal."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surrounded by knowledge and opportunity